Help with happiness
Here are three things you can do right now to help with your happiness. When practiced regularly these happiness keys can result in feeling good, feeling compassionate, grateful and alive.
Key 1 – Practise gratitude (do this once a week, preferably at the end of the week)
Right now and again at the end of each week, make a list of the things you are grateful for and which you appreciate.
Key 2 – Acts of kindness (do this five times on one day a week)
On a single day each week perform five acts of kindness.
Decide beforehand what opportunities may be present on a specific day before the selected day begins. For best results, repeat this exercise over a 6-week period1.
Key 3 – Tune in to your self (do this every day to improve your happiness)
Happiness happens when you stop, take some time out and tune in to your body and your breathing. By doing this you can clear your mind of any thoughts and release any pent up feelings. Just follow this simple process. First, sit comfortably in a chair and close your eyes.
- Scan your body from head to toe, noticing any points of comfort/discomfort.
- Tune in to your breathing, noticing the rise and fall of your chest.
- Tune in to your thoughts, but don’t get caught up in a particular thought. Allow your thoughts to come and go. Then release all your thoughts into an imaginary cloud and watch it move into the distance.
- Tune in to your feelings. Label each feeling and ask yourself where it is located in your body. Breathe in the feeling for a single breath, and then release it with a breath out. Continue doing this with other feelings. When you have finished, breathe in all the feelings and release them, imagining that you are surfing a wave and when the wave breaks, the feelings are released.
- Tune in to your breathing again, noticing any changes.
- Tune in to your surroundings, sounds, and sensations.
- Gradually come back to the room you’re in. Think about what you’ll be doing next. Give it a positive thought. Slowly open your eyes.
Learn some more keys to happiness with life coaching.
If you want to read more about happiness, look for my blog on Finding Happiness.
 Lyubomirsky, S. The Architecture of Sustainable Happiness. Post-conference Workshop 1. Happiness and its causes Conference, May 2009, Sydney.